By Deborah A. Logan
Read Online or Download Harriet Martineau, Victorian Imperialism, and the Civilizing Mission PDF
Similar british & irish contemporary literature books
The literary 'middle ground', as soon as brushed off via academia as insignificant, is the location of strong anxieties approximately cultural authority that proceed to at the present time. briefly, the middlebrow concerns . those essays learn the prejudices and aspirations at paintings within the 'battle of the brows', and express that cultural worth is usually relative and situational.
Analyzing a wealthy new iteration of Latin American writers, this assortment bargains new views at the present prestige of Latin American literature within the age of globalization. Authors explored are from the growth and Postboom classes, together with those that mix social preoccupations, like drug trafficking, with aesthetic ones.
The sport of chess was once wildly renowned within the heart a while, lots in order that it turned a major concept paradigm for thinkers and writers who applied its vocabulary and imagery for commentaries on conflict, politics, love, and the social order. during this selection of essays, students examine chess texts from various traditions – English, French, German, Latin, Persian, Spanish, Swedish, and Catalan – and argue that wisdom of chess is vital to realizing medieval tradition.
Whereas Kierkegaard might be recognized most sensible as a non secular philosopher and thinker, there's an unmistakable literary aspect in his writings. He usually explains advanced thoughts and concepts through the use of literary figures and motifs that he may possibly imagine his readers could have a few familiarity with. This measurement of his notion has served to make his writings way more well known than these of alternative philosophers and theologians, yet while it has made their interpretation extra advanced.
- Landscapes of Eternal Return: Tennyson to Hardy
- Of Books and Botany in Early Modern England: Sixteenth-Century Plants and Print Culture (Literary and Scientific Cultures of Early Modernity)
- Creole Testimonies: Slave Narratives from the British West Indies, 1709-1838 (The New Urban Atlantic)
- The Ethics and Aesthetics of Vulnerability in Contemporary British Fiction (Routledge Studies in Contemporary Literature)
- Environmental Crisis in Young Adult Fiction: A Poetics of Earth (Critical Approaches to Children's Literature)
- Beard Fetish in Early Modern England: Sex, Gender, and Registers of Value (Women and Gender in the Early Modern World)
Additional info for Harriet Martineau, Victorian Imperialism, and the Civilizing Mission
Harriet Martineau, Victorian Imperialism, and the Civilizing Mission by Deborah A. Logan