By Andrew Hammond
Read or Download Cold War Stories: British Dystopian Fiction, 1945-1990 PDF
Similar british & irish contemporary literature books
The literary 'middle ground', as soon as brushed aside by means of academia as insignificant, is the location of robust anxieties approximately cultural authority that proceed to today. in brief, the middlebrow concerns . those essays research the prejudices and aspirations at paintings within the 'battle of the brows', and convey that cultural worth is often relative and situational.
Reading a wealthy new new release of Latin American writers, this assortment deals new views at the present prestige of Latin American literature within the age of globalization. Authors explored are from the growth and Postboom classes, together with those that mix social preoccupations, like drug trafficking, with aesthetic ones.
The sport of chess used to be wildly well known within the center a while, quite a bit in order that it grew to become an incredible notion paradigm for thinkers and writers who applied its vocabulary and imagery for commentaries on warfare, politics, love, and the social order. during this selection of essays, students examine chess texts from various traditions – English, French, German, Latin, Persian, Spanish, Swedish, and Catalan – and argue that wisdom of chess is vital to realizing medieval tradition.
Whereas Kierkegaard might be identified most sensible as a non secular philosopher and thinker, there's an unmistakable literary aspect in his writings. He frequently explains advanced techniques and concepts through the use of literary figures and motifs that he might suppose his readers might have a few familiarity with. This measurement of his inspiration has served to make his writings way more well known than these of alternative philosophers and theologians, yet even as it has made their interpretation extra complicated.
- The Discourse of Sovereignty, Hobbes to Fielding: The State of Nature and the Nature of the State (Studies in Early Modern English Literature)
- Women Reviewing Women in Nineteenth-Century Britain: The Critical Reception of Jane Austen, Charlotte Brontë and George Eliot (Nineteenth Century)
- Thomas Lodge (The University Wits)
- Horace and Housman (New Antiquity)
- Modernist Legacies: Trends and Faultlines in British Poetry Today (Modern and Contemporary Poetry and Poetics)
- Literatures of Exile in the English Revolution and Its Aftermath (Transculturalisms, 1400-1700)
Extra resources for Cold War Stories: British Dystopian Fiction, 1945-1990
Cold War Stories: British Dystopian Fiction, 1945-1990 by Andrew Hammond