By K. Boehm
Read or Download Charles Dickens and the Sciences of Childhood: Popular Medicine, Child Health and Victorian Culture (Palgrave Studies in Nineteenth-Century Writing and Culture) PDF
Best british & irish contemporary literature books
The literary 'middle ground', as soon as brushed off via academia as insignificant, is the positioning of robust anxieties approximately cultural authority that proceed to this present day. in brief, the middlebrow concerns . those essays study the prejudices and aspirations at paintings within the 'battle of the brows', and express that cultural price is often relative and situational.
Studying a wealthy new new release of Latin American writers, this assortment bargains new views at the present prestige of Latin American literature within the age of globalization. Authors explored are from the increase and Postboom classes, together with those that mix social preoccupations, like drug trafficking, with aesthetic ones.
The sport of chess used to be wildly well known within the heart a long time, loads in order that it grew to become an enormous inspiration paradigm for thinkers and writers who applied its vocabulary and imagery for commentaries on battle, politics, love, and the social order. during this number of essays, students examine chess texts from a number of traditions – English, French, German, Latin, Persian, Spanish, Swedish, and Catalan – and argue that wisdom of chess is vital to realizing medieval tradition.
Whereas Kierkegaard is likely to be identified most sensible as a spiritual philosopher and thinker, there's an unmistakable literary point in his writings. He frequently explains complicated techniques and concepts by utilizing literary figures and motifs that he may possibly suppose his readers might have a few familiarity with. This measurement of his proposal has served to make his writings way more well known than these of different philosophers and theologians, yet whilst it has made their interpretation extra complicated.
- Writing Women Saints in Anglo-Saxon England: (Toronto Anglo-Saxon Series)
- New Turkes: Dramatizing Islam and the Ottomans in Early Modern England
- Narratives of Enclosure in Detective Fiction: The Locked Room Mystery (Crime Files)
- Perceiving Pain in African Literature
- Gertrude More: Printed Writings, 1641–1700: Series II, Part Four, Volume 3 (The Early Modern Englishwoman: A Facsimile Library of Essential Works â€“ Printed ... Writings, 1641â€“1700: Series II, Part Four)
- Women Musicians in Victorian Fiction, 1860-1900: Representations of Music, Science and Gender in the Leisured Home: Volume 39 (Routledge Library Editions: The Nineteenth-Century Novel)
Additional info for Charles Dickens and the Sciences of Childhood: Popular Medicine, Child Health and Victorian Culture (Palgrave Studies in Nineteenth-Century Writing and Culture)
Charles Dickens and the Sciences of Childhood: Popular Medicine, Child Health and Victorian Culture (Palgrave Studies in Nineteenth-Century Writing and Culture) by K. Boehm