By Jane Dowson
Read or Download Carol Ann Duffy: Poet for Our Times PDF
Similar british & irish contemporary literature books
The literary 'middle ground', as soon as brushed aside by means of academia as insignificant, is the location of strong anxieties approximately cultural authority that proceed to today. briefly, the middlebrow issues . those essays research the prejudices and aspirations at paintings within the 'battle of the brows', and convey that cultural worth is often relative and situational.
Interpreting a wealthy new iteration of Latin American writers, this assortment deals new views at the present prestige of Latin American literature within the age of globalization. Authors explored are from the increase and Postboom classes, together with those that mix social preoccupations, like drug trafficking, with aesthetic ones.
The sport of chess used to be wildly renowned within the center a while, rather a lot in order that it grew to become a major notion paradigm for thinkers and writers who applied its vocabulary and imagery for commentaries on warfare, politics, love, and the social order. during this number of essays, students examine chess texts from various traditions – English, French, German, Latin, Persian, Spanish, Swedish, and Catalan – and argue that wisdom of chess is key to realizing medieval tradition.
Whereas Kierkegaard might be recognized top as a non secular philosopher and thinker, there's an unmistakable literary point in his writings. He frequently explains advanced techniques and concepts by utilizing literary figures and motifs that he may perhaps suppose his readers could have a few familiarity with. This measurement of his inspiration has served to make his writings way more renowned than these of different philosophers and theologians, yet even as it has made their interpretation extra advanced.
- Time, Domesticity and Print Culture in Nineteenth-Century Britain (Palgrave Studies in Nineteenth-Century Writing and Culture)
- English Clandestine Satire, 1660-1702
- Modernist Legacies: Trends and Faultlines in British Poetry Today (Modern and Contemporary Poetry and Poetics)
- Durrell Re-read: Crossing the Liminal in Lawrence Durrell's Major Novels
- Conspiracy and Virtue: Women, Writing, and Politics in Seventeenth-Century England
- Engendering a Nation: A Feminist Account of Shakespeare's English Histories (Feminist Readings of Shakespeare)
Additional info for Carol Ann Duffy: Poet for Our Times
Carol Ann Duffy: Poet for Our Times by Jane Dowson